Some opportunities for your consideration:
1. This job comes to us via Jon Lentz, MS-2009 and MA-2010, who is the managing editor of City & State, a growing political media and information company in lower Manhattan.
City&State seeks a digital editor to work in its editorial department. Candidates must have a strong digital journalism background, including social media, and a knowledge of and interest in New York City and New York State politics is important. This is a great job for a hungry journalist looking for a challenge in high-profile job. Fast-paced and creative newsroom. Please send cover letter and resume with 3 clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. EW.com is looking for a production/editorial intern.
This a full-time, six-month gig, so it’s only available to graduates. Full-time students and those seeking part-time employment are ineligible. (Note: This internship is NOT part of the larger Time Inc. internship program).
As an EW.com production/editorial intern, you’ll get build and publish articles and photo galleries in our publishing tool; attend staff meetings where you’ll help plan our editorial coverage; learn about creating new online products; write for our website; monitor our online community; and help promote EW.com on various social media platforms. The pay is $10/hour.
We’re looking for someone who can start work in late June or early July and work through the end of the year. If you’re interested, please send a resume, cover letter explaining why you’re the best candidate for the job, and links to five clips that demonstrate your ability to write authoritatively about pop culture in a voice that would be at home at EW.com.
Please send these materials to Chad_Schlegel@EW.com.
3. The Dow Jones News Fund has an immediate opening in food business writing at The Food Institute, which operates a news site on food and the food industry.
Candidates for this position must have a car to drive to The Food Institute’s headquarters in Upper Saddle River, N.J. This is a 10-week position that pays $350/week. There will be a one week training program conducted by Will Sutton at New York University from May 26 - May 31, followed by the internship. The website is www.food.institute.com.
If you’re interested, send Linda Shockley a resume and single PDF with 3 to 5 clips sent via email to email@example.com.
If you want to include a brief cover letter email, address it to Linda Shockley, Deputy Director, Dow Jones News Fund.
Here is the fuller description of the internship:
Food Industry Business Writer/Social Media Reporter
- Check News Wires
- Pitch Stores
- Monitor News
- Provide Analysis
- Engage Our Audience
Duties include written data/trend analysis for the association’s daily and weekly newsletters. Ongoing projects include improving and updating the group’s web-based commodity information databases and annual studies. The position involves extensive phone contact with food industry executives. Develop ideas and material for columns or commentaries by analyzing and interpreting news, current issues, and personal experiences. Duties and skills include: Research and analyze background information related to stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
- Gather information and report on events.
- Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
- Check reference materials such as books, news files, and public records in order to obtain relevant facts.
- Determine a story’s emphasis, length, and format, and organize material accordingly.
- Leverage social tools and technology to supplement our regular reporting.
- Identify fresh reporting and potential sources in breaking news situation.
- Seek out the best user-generated content and multimedia to help in online storytelling and display.
- Regularly look for fresh, interesting stories that may be developing among different online communities.
- Develop the Food Institute audience - both connecting readers with our content and engaging them in conversation.
4. There may be a last minute opening for a social media summer intern at NBC News.
Full time, minimum wage. Candidates must be credit eligible so unfortunately international students are not eligible.
If you are interested, send your resume TODAY to Jacqueline DeLaFuente in Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will forward applicants but will not have additional information for follow-up.
5. The Career Services team is looking to hire a reporter/researcher to begin immediately and work through June.
There will also be web management responsibilities including posting jobs on JobNews, editing the existing site and updating it with new items. The 30+ hours per week (flexible) position will pay $18 an hour. Some work can be done remotely. If interested, apply ASAP (by 9 a.m. Friday, May 17 would be best) by sending an e-mail to Jacqueline DeLaFuente at email@example.com. Preference will be given to early applicants, so please get in touch quickly. Send along a resume and two clips. An informal “cover letter” can just be in the body of the email.
6. The Career Services team is looking for a producer who can shoot and edit video for its web site.
Assignments will be in New York City. The 20+ hours per week (flexible) position will pay $18 an hour. If interested, apply ASAP (by Monday, May 20 would be best) via e-mail to Jacqueline DeLaFuente at firstname.lastname@example.org. Preference will be given to early applicants, so please get in touch quickly. Send along a resume and two clips. An informal “cover letter” can just be in the body of the email.
7. AAJA-DC INTERNSHIP STIPENDS: The deadline has been extended to this Friday.
AAJA-DC will award two students with $1,000 internship stipends to use for housing, transportation, and living costs during an internship this summer. To be eligible, students must be a current AAJA member and have already accepted a full-time summer internship at a news outlet. Members of the D.C. chapter may use the funds for internships located anywhere; all other members must use the funds for internships located within the chapter’s region: Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and Richmond. Winners will be required to volunteer up to eight hours for chapter events and efforts. All application materials must be RECEIVED by Friday, May 17. Instructions on how to apply are at: http://bit.ly/11FDa1F
8. AAJA’s William Woo Print and Online Internship Grant
Apply at: www.aaja.org/2013-william-woo-internship-grant
9. AAJA’s BROADCAST NEWS INTERNSHIP GRANTS
Details at: www.aaja.org/2013-aaja-broadcast-news-internship-grants
10. Also from AAJA: Looking for an assistant editor for two award-winning B2B fashion magazines, Earnshaw’s and Footwear Plus.
Responsibilities include: traveling to trade shows and covering the latest trends, writing short, snappy copy as well as full-length features, careful copy-editing, establishing a strong base of fashion-industry contacts, pulling the appropriate products for trend pages and updating the magazines’ social media feeds and website.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree (journalism preferred) and a sharp eye for news, as well as excellent writing and editing skills. Web experience a plus. The office is based in New York City, near the East Village. The start date is May 23. Please send a cover letter, resume and TWO writing samples to email@example.com.
11. South Asian Journalists Association’s 2013 Internship Fund
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11:59 p.m. EST, Saturday, June 1, 2013.
Start your online application by registering at www.saja.org. To complete your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following supporting materials:
1. A copy of your offer letter
2. A copy of your resume.
3. Attachments or links to 3-5 clips
4. Answers to the following questions (300 words or less each):
a. What has driven your interest in SAJA, South Asia or the diaspora?
b. How have you been involved with SAJA thus far?
c. Detail the expenses you will incur to pursue this internship.
d. Detail your financial need for this grant.
e. Detail any other sources of funding you are receiving for this internship.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Visit saja.org/internshipfund for complete details on the program.
12. There is a chance that a full time paid summer internship position may be available at MSNBC/JANSING and Co. for a politics junkie and one at CNBC for a candidate with an interest in digital marketing, marketing experience and an interest in financial news. (we aren’t sure if this is a journalism position and are inquiring further)
NOTE: The Jansing and Co. internship is 5:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. shift.
We have been asked to forward resumes to the internship coordinator for consideration.
If you are interested in either of these positions, send your resume OVERNIGHT to Jacqueline DeLaFuente in Career Services email@example.com and indicate which internship you would like to be considered for. These internships require candidates to be eligible for credit so unfortunately international students do not qualify.
13. PCMag is looking to fill several positions.
Details at http://www.ziffdavis.com/about-us/careers/
14. Real Simple is looking for a Social Media Editor.
Apply at https://careers.timewarner.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=391&siteid=36&jobid=654886
15. May 15 is the deadline to apply for the research assistant job at Columbia University’s Global Center in Mumbai. Details at JobNews.
16. From a Columbia University grad: Punched in the Head Productions, Inc. is looking to fill a fashion researcher/reporter position.
Documentary production seeks researcher/reporter who knows the fashion world inside and out in. Must be deeply conversant in current trends & styles, fashion history, significant issues / matters, and have thorough awareness of major fashion events occurring in New York City and around the world in June & July. Researcher will help guide creative team during pre-production as each episode’s story lines are crafted. Minimum 5 years reporting or writing for fashion blogs or magazines. Can be f/t or p/t, with flexibility of working off-site. Immediate start. All interested candidates should submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.