We are pleased to announce the launch of the first online edition of the student, Faculty and Staff directory. For the first time, there’s a web version of the venerable “facebook” that has been printed annually for decades (not to be confused with the student-run Facebook.com networking site).
A personal project of Dean Robert MacDonald, this is a useful new resource for all of us. It’s not meant to replace the print copy, but to enhance and update it.
* Password-protected full access from any web browser in the world.
* Each student entry has a more detailed profile, including room for Journalism Focus; Favorite Book; Languages Spoken Fluently
* Most student photos in full color.
* Two modes: Table mode and Book mode. Table mode allows you to see a simple list of names that you can click on to get to the profiles. Book mode allows you to see the photos next to each name, sort of laid out like the print version. On any page, you can switch back and forth.
* You can browse, by alphabetical order, just the student listings or the just the Faculty/Staff listings.
* There’s a keyword search that is very useful. It searches last names or first names (very useful if you remember, as it often happens only a person’s first name) and, in an exciting development for the Career Services office, by languages spoken.
* Some common names: Davids (nine), Elizabeths (seven)…
* Some common languages: Spanish (48), French (47), Chinese/Mandarin/Cantonese (13), German (13), Hindi (12), Arabic (5)…
* Can’t search by favorite books yet
* I don’t know if this is a bug or a feature, but you can search parts of names as well.
eg, If you type in just “ree” you get the last names Freedlander, Freedman, Sreenivasan and the first names Maureen and Nisreen. Not sure how useful this is, but might come in handy if you only know part of a name.
A WISH LIST OF FUTURE FEATURES (some of these may not happen till 2007):
* Color photos of faculty and staff.
* Fuller profiles of faculty and staff.
* Creation of profiles for Adjuncts.
* Add favorite music and other categories.
* Ability to go directly from one profile to the next, without hitting the back button
* Ability to search by favorite books, journalism focus, etc.
* Ability to create customized lists of friends, classes, etc.
HOW TO UPDATE YOUR STUDENT LISTING, ADD OR CHANGE PHOTOS, ETC:
If you did not send us any information or a photograph, please do so immediately in the following manner.
* Send a JPG file (of a reasonable size) to Leslie Akst, laa82[at]columbia (subject line = “Facebook photo)
* Send your text by filling in the online form here:
Please note that we are unable to make wholesale changes to existing profiles or endlessly tweak them. If you have a single, major change or deletion (eg, your languages are not listed), please send an e-mail to Leslie Akst, laa82[at]columbia (subject line=”Facebook update”). Please note we may not be able to accommodate all tweaks due to space restrictions.
DEADLINE: Wed., Sept. 20, 2006, at 6 p.m. - after that no changes will be accepted till next semester. A revised version will be published by early October.
A big thank you again to Dean MacDonald.
TO SEE THE ONLINE VERSION:
[LINK SENT VIA E-MAIL]
Feedback, fun facts you find, etc., welcome.
- Dean Sreenivasan